First Posted: 9/19/2014
The Waverly Community House and Honorary Chairs Harry and Susan Belin will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the F. Lammot Belin Arts Scholarship Oct. 10 and 11 with a weekend of events to celebrate the arts.
The Comm will host a visual arts exhibit and cocktail reception, catered by Accentuate, on Fridayd, Oct. 10 at Skylake Gallery in Fleetville. The exhibit will feature recent works by Belin Scholarship recipients Steven Alexander, John Bromberg, William Chickillo, Mark Chuck, Vincent Cianni, Robert Griffith, Pamela Joseph, Earl Lehman, Karl Neuroth, Pamela Parsons, Robert Stark, William Tersteeg, Sally Tosti and 2014 scholarship recipient, Jason Urban. The gallery will be open from 6 to 9 p.m.
The Comm will be transformed into a storytelling festival for the whole family on Saturday, Oct. 11. The festival features stories and presentations from the following:
• Harry Potter Readings, with Abington Community Library in the Comm Library, at 11:30 a.m., 12:30, 1:30 and 2:30 p.m.
• Storytime, with Chris Archangelo, in the Family Room at 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
• Poets Workshop, with Craig Czury, in the Madison Room from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for third through sixth-grade students and 1:30 to 3 p.m. for teens.
• Fairytales, A Story Through Dance, with Devine School of Dance, in the Dance Studio from 12 to 12:20 p.m. and 12:45 to 1:05 p.m.
• Voodoo, with Everhart Museum, in the Mary Benjamin Room at 1 p.m.
• Book Making, with Paula Beardell Krieg, in the Scout Room from 1:15 to 3 p.m. Class size is limited to 12 participants. Register by calling the Comm office at 570-586-8191, extension 2.
• Pop-Up Books, with Paula Beardell Krieg, for third through sixth-grade students, in the Scout Room from 12:15 to 1 p.m. Class size is limited to 12 participants. Register by calling the Comm office at 570-586-8191, extension 2.
• Tots and Toddler Book Craft, with Paula Beardell Krieg, in the Scout Room from 11 to 11:50 a.m. Class size is limited to 12 participants. Register by calling the Comm office at 570-586-8191, extension 2.
• Storytime for Therapy Dogs, with Narda Tafuri, in the Gymnasium from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. For children kindergarten through third grade.
• Fairytales, with Waverly Preschool, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. A preschool open house.
The celebration weekend culminates with a concert and reception Saturday, Oct. 11 at the Comm, showcasing the talents of Belin Scholarship recipients Craig Czury, poet; Thomas Fallon, vocalist; Ernest Ragogini, pianist; and Judine Somerville, dancer. Other highlights of the evening include “The F. Lammot Belin Memorial Fund Tribute,” a short film produced by Greg Matkosky of WVIA in collaboration with the Waverly Community House; a memorial tribute to writer, poet and educator Karen Blomain; and presentation of the 2014 Belin Scholarship award to Jason Urban.
Doors will open at 7 p.m. and the concert will begin at 7:30 p.m. An artists reception will follow. The concert is sponsored in part by Joanne Aronsohn Monahan, patron of the arts, and The Epicurean Delight.
The F. Lammot Belin Arts Scholarship was established in 1964 by Peter Belin as an honor to his father, F. Lammot Belin, patron of the arts and artists, and is awarded annually to a deserving individual in the performing or fine arts. Applications are accepted each year from Sept. 1 through Dec. 15.
All events on Friday and Saturday are open to the public, free of charge.