1903/1963 — Milwaukie merchant O.W. Petty loaned to the Journal an old photograph taken, according to his recollection, in August 1903 at a Red Man’s parade in Tunkhannock. The photograph, which the paper ran on Jan. 31, 1963, shows the Milwaukie Echo Cornet Band.
“Back in the days when people in small towns, perforce, created their own amusement, the Echo Cornet Band was organized at Milwaukie Village, in the shade of Bald Mount, under the leadership of the late B. F. Reed, who had been a member of a cornet band back in the ’80s,” read the caption.
“Nearly every small town boasted one of these bands, which were the mainspring of the community’s music life.”
Petty told the Journal in 1963 he remembered there were similar bands in Falls, Clarks Summit, Taylor and Tunkhannock.
“The band, he recalls, was well-equipped and owned its own hall but had to give way to changing times and the advent of school bands,” continued the 1963 piece. “Of the former bandsmen, six are still among the living after 68 years of Time’s passage.”
1964 — In a two-part story continued the following week, the Abington Journal shared some memories from a Clarks Summit woman, Grace Myers Staples, who was born in 1880 on the John Myers Farm, which was situated at the west end of Grove Street.
Forty acres of her father’s farm, along with another 40 acres from the George Meyers Farm, make up what became the golf course of the Country Club of Scranton, when the club moved from Green Ridge in 1928.
“The farm house was situated about where the second and third holes are placed today,” read the article.
“Mrs. Staples went to school in a one room school house, which was located where the International Salt Company has their office, until she was about nine years old. Among her classmates were the late Judge ‘Will’ Leach and Imogene Ackerly. The next move was to a four room school, which was located on Glenburn Road, in Clarks Green. …Professor Fred Hayen (who later became a lawyer) was the principal. Miss May Armstrong (later Mrs. Fred Stone) and Miss Tinkham were the teachers. As the enrollment increased, larger quarters had to be found and the next move was to Grove Street. The building stood between what is now the elementary school and the Administration Building (formerly a silk mill).”
1965 — A front page photo showed a local Vietnam-bound U.S. Air Force captain preparing a meal over a campfire during the final phase of his training. Captain William H. Newhart Jr., of Fleetville, son of Mr. and Mrs. William H. Newhart, of Factoryville, received training in escape and evasion techniques and jungle survival at the U.S. Air Forces Southern Command (USAFSO) Tropic Survival School at Albrock AFB, Canal Zone.
“The captain is being reassigned to a Pacific Air Forces (PACAF) unit in Viet Nam where he will help train Vietnamese forces in air tactics and combat techniques,” read the article. “PACAF provides defense for the U.S. and its allies in the Pacific and Far East areas. Captain Newhart, a graduate of Benton Township Voc. High School, Fleetville, Pa., earned his B.S. degree at Pennsylvania State University and was commissioned through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program there. His wife, Barbara, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Stenzhorn, of 110 Throop St., Dunmore, Pa.”