CLARKS SUMMIT — The Gathering Place announced the Abington Area Community Classroom’s spring schedule is as follows. For information on locations and how to register, visit GatheringPlaceCS.org or 570-954-6650.
Students will have the opportunity to enjoy the food, while learning tricks from area chefs, starting at 6:30 p.m. and located in the First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit (FPCCS) kitchen, unless otherwise noted. The fee for each cooking class is $35, unless otherwise noted, and classes are limited to 10 students.
• Cinco De Mayo, Thursday, March 31 with Chef Sara McCully, of State Street Grill. Register by March 24.
• Garden Party on a Dime, Thursday, April 7 with Harvest Catering owners/chefs Sarah and Michael Bodner. Register by March 31.
• Breakfast for the Bunch, Thursday, April 21 with Paula Lamberton from the Culinary Program at Lackawanna College. Register by April 14.
• Kentucky Derby, Thursday, April 28 with Chef Sara McCully, who will show how to prepare Southern favorites. Register by April 21.
• Springtime in Italy, Thursday, May 12 with Chef Gene Romaldini. Register by May 5.
• Thirteen Olives, from 6 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 13 at Thirteen Olives store in Chinchilla, with owner Eugene Litz, CIA chef. Cost: $10. Register by April 6.
Students will get in touch with their creative side. All supply costs are to be paid to the instructor on the night of the class. Visit GatheringPlaceCS.org for more detailed information and pictures.
• Making Your Subjects Look Great in Photos, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday, March 31 with professional photographer Cheryl Kaiser. Cost: $20. Register by March 24.
• Basic Knitting, from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Mondays, April 4, 11, 18 and 25 at FPCCS with Ellen Muzi. Bring your own needles and yarn. Cost: $20. Register by March 28.
• Sock Knitting, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursdays, April 7, 14, 21 and 28 and May 5 and 12 at FPCCS with Ellen Muzi, an experienced knitter and former owner of Electric City Yarns. Bring worsted weight yarn and #3 double-pointed needles. Supplies available. Cost: $20. Register by March 31.
• Basic Smocking, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays, April 11 and 18 at FPCCS with Pam Summa. Bring scissors and a ruler. Cost: $15 plus supply cost of $3. Register by April 4.
• Create Your Own Floral Arrangement, 6 to 8 p.m. Monday, May 2 at FPCCS with Kelley Stewart Thornton, certified floral designer. Cost: $15, plus $20 for supplies. Register by April 25.
• Kaleidoscope Table Runner, 6 to 8 p.m. Thursdays, May 5 and 12 at FPCCS with Valerie Davidian. Students supply fabric, thermal batting, cutting mat, rotary cutter, ruler, 9 degree wedge ruler and sewing machine. Cost: $25. Register by April 25.
• Bike Maintenance 101, 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 11 at Sickler’s, 298 Noble Road, with Zach Wentzel. Cost: $10. Register by May 4.
• Phone, Tablet and Photos, 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday, May 5 at FPCCS with Jeff Brozena. Bring a phone or tablet. If maintaining a library on a laptop is of interest, bring one as well. Cost: $20. Register by April 28.
• Tips and Techniques on Repurposing Furniture, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, May 5, 12 and 19 at FPCCS with Val Langan, of Woods and Company. Students will provide their own real wood piece, either an unfinished “new” or an “old” piece, to be re-purposed. Cost: $20, plus supply cost of $20. Register by April 28.
• Twenty-First Century TV, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday, April 14 at FPCCS. The Geek Squad from Best Buy will do a hands-on demo to help students learn more about the future of television. Cost: $15. Register by April 7.
A closer look
• Personal Growth Through Self-Hypnosis, 7 p.m. Mondays, April 4, 11, 18 and 25 with Psychologist Kevin Creegan, Ph.D. at FPCCS. Cost: $30. Register by March 28.
• Feng-Shui Your Way to Positive Change, first class from 6 to 7 p.m. and second from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays, April 19 and 26 at FPCCSwith Sybilla Lenz, author of “Living an Abundant Life,” among other books. Cost: $20. Register by April 12.
The art of communication
• “For the Love of Books” monthly reading group, at 12 p.m. every third Tuesday, ongoing, at Everything Natural. Bring your lunch and meet to discuss literature with other book lovers. Registration not necessary.
Health and wellness
• The Grace of Yoga, Session One from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays, April 6, 13, 20 and 27 and Session Two 9:30 to 11 a.m. Thursdays, April, 7, 14, 21 and 28 at Everything Natural, with Eileen Harte, certified registered yoga instructor. Bring a yoga mat. Cost: $30. Register by March 30.
Out and about
• Eating Healthy All Year: Hydroponic Greens, 11 a.m. Saturday, April 30 at Rowlands PA Produce, 598 Miller Lane, Falls, with Amanda and Bill Banta. Cost: $10. Register by April 23.
• “What Grows Best in NEPA?” from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. May 7 at Hillside Park with Josh Arp, Clarks Summit tree commissioner. Cost: $10. Register by April 30.
• Indraloka Animal Sanctuary, 12 p.m. Saturday, May 21 at Indraloka Sanctuary in Mehoopany. Meet at First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit at 11 a.m. to carpool or join us the group at the farm at 12 p.m. Cost: $10. Register by May 14.
• Dedicated to promoting social inclusion, the unified classes connect people with and without intellectual disabilities.
Basic Guitar and Percussion, from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. Thursdays, March 31, April 7, 14, 21 and 28 and May 5, 12 and 19 at First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit with Phil Rossi and Chuck Scrimallis. Students must bring guitar with strap. Proceeds will be used for future projects. Cost: $25. Register by March 24.
Jill and Gehred Wetzel, dance educators and enthusiasts, will teach advanced, intermediate and beginner classes in a relaxed setting.
• Session One, Mondays, March 7, 14, 21 and 28 and April 4 in the Fellowship Hall at Clarks Green United Methodist Church. No. 125 Advanced NC two-step, 6 to 7 p.m.; No. 126 Intermediate Foxtrot, 7 to 8 p.m.; No. 127 Beginner Country Two-step, 8 to 9 p.m. Cost: $45. Register by Feb. 29.
• Session Two, Mondays, April 11 and 18 and May 2, 9 and 16 in the Fellowship Hall at Clarks Green United Methodist Church. No. 128 Advanced Bolero, 6 to 7 p.m.; No. 129 Intermediate Hustle, 7 to 8 p.m.; and No. 130 Beginner Country Two-step, 8 to 9 p.m. Cost: $45.Register by April 4.
• No. 131 New York City, Saturday, April 16. Bus will leave at 8 a.m. from Clarks Summit United Methodist Church, to arrive on 49th Street in the city, then depart from there at 7 p.m. for the trip home. Cost: $35. Info: 570 -254 -9520.
• No. 132 Triple Play: Beauty, History and Learning, Saturday, May 14. Bus departs 8 a.m. from Clarks Summit United Methodist Church, Morgan Highway, returning at 8 p.m. Venture to Winterthur and Hagley Museum in the heart of the Brandywine Region, Wilmington, Delaware. Info: winterthur.org. Following lunch (at participants’ expense) at Winterthur, the group will travel down the road to Hagley and take a journey through the historic 1802 du Pont Company black powder yards and the garden and grounds of the first du Pont family home in America. Info: hagley.org. Cost: $75 (includes bus and guided tours at Winterthur and Hagley). More info: 570 -587-2651. A registration form is required for each passenger.
Information provided by the The Gathering Place.