CLARKS GREEN — The Scranton City Chapter of the Pennsylvania State Society Daughters of the American Revolution (PSSDAR) held a dedication ceremony and unveiling of a new plaque in honor of the area’s founder and Revolutionary War Private William Clark Sr. at the soldier’s grave in the Clarks Green Cemetery Saturday, July 23.
Clark, according to the dedication program, was born in Rhode Island in 1757 and died in 1827 in South Abington Township.
“As a mere 18-year-old lad, Clark joined the Continental Army and became a soldier in the Revolutionary War,” the program reads. “In 1775, Clark served with distinction at the Battle of Bunker Hill. He was also with General George Washington at the Battle of Trenton in 1776 and during the brutal winter at Valley Forge in 1777-1778. As payment for his services in the Continental Army, he was given a grant of 800 acres of land in Northeast Pennsylvania.”
Members of the PSSDAR were joined by members of the Abington Memorial VFW Post 7069, area historians, Clarks Green council members and other local residents. The ceremony in the cemetery was followed by a reception at the nearby Clarks Green United Methodist Church building.