Since we have had everything football on the brain from Super Bowl LIII, it will be fun to talk a bit about something that sometimes goes unthought of – game-day style.
That’s right! Gone are the days where only a sports jersey or team T-shirt would do. You can have some more fun with your style, and as we think about all the exciting things our teams will have in store for us this year – why not start the conversation now? Here are a few tips on how you can do it in style:
1. Wear your teams’ colors: Just because you are a fan of the team doesn’t mean that you must have the team name all over your body to show your support. If you are a Phillies fan wear red and white. You could wear a cute white T-shirt, red cardigan, distressed jeans and some stylish sneakers and you would be set to go.
Most of the licensed sports attire adds up — $45 to $50 for just a T-shirt sometimes — so this is a great way to wear what you already have in your closet and look stylish doing so.
2. Mix fashion and athleisure: It is the perfect time for athleisure to be a hit trend. You can take one of your sports teams tops and mix it with something like a maxi skirt to give an ultra-feminine vibe. Pinterest is s a great resource for finding how to mix and match elements like this and keep you ahead of the game.
3. Accessories can add so much: Don’t think about just the clothing. Your accessories can do a lot for your looks too. Adding something like a navy crossbody bag to a white top and jeans has you ready to celebrate the Yankees. Jewelry such as tassel earrings in your favorite teams’ colors can be just the amount of team spirit you need. Don’t forget sunnies too — they work just as great.
4. Just add stripes: This print is a staple in most of our wardrobes and comes in an assortment of color variations. It can totally tie a look together — add the team’s color combo to your ensemble such as under a moto jacket for an edgy look or denim jacket for a classic approach.
5. Keep it practical: It is game day, whether you are tailgating at a game or just hanging and watching it with friends family at home. Even though you may be mixing in fashion pieces you want to make sure you don’t sacrifice comfort because that won’t be fun. When you are choosing your outfit think about the environment you will be in, take the weather into account and of course check out stadium restrictions — nothing like choosing the perfect bag and you can’t bring it inside!
For anyone who struggles with game-day style or simply just wants to take it up a notch I hope these tips help you. Whether you want to stay comfy and sporty or take it a bit more glam – have some fun and go get ’em!
Elizabeth Jones is an on-air style expert, wardrobe consultant and founder of Elizabeth Jones Styling. She is a weekly style contributor on PA Live and has been seen on more than 130 live television segments on the East Coast. She has partnered with major brands and been seen in large publications. Her goal is to empower and inspire through style.