SCRANTON — BikeScranton will kick off its fourth season of free bike rentals from 5 to 7:30 pm. April 6 on Courthouse Square.
BikeScranton is a free bike share program hosted by Lackawanna Heritage Valley National and State Heritage Area (LHV). The goal of the program is to encourage people to adopt cycling as a form of regular exercise, and to explore the City of Scranton and the Lackawanna River Heritage Trail (LRHT) in a new way.
Participating in the program is easy. Bicyclists can visit one of five local share sites:
· Hilton Scranton and Conference Center, 100 Adams Ave., Scranton
· Lackawanna Heritage Valley Headquarters, 213 S. 7th Ave., Scranton
· Learning Commons at Marywood University, Morgan Road, Dunmore
· Strive Multisport (formerly Cedar Bike & Paddle), 629 Pittston Ave.; Scranton
· Weinberg Memorial Library at The University of Scranton, corner of Monroe Avenue and Linden Street
Participants must be 16 years of age or older, present a valid driver’s license or valid identification, and sign a liability waiver in order to borrow a bicycle. Helmets are provided. Those under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Bikes may be borrowed for a few hours or a full day, depending on the hours of the bike share site. To help them plot a course for their adventure, cyclists will be given a map of downtown Scranton and information about the trail system.